Revised June 3, 2021
(Harvard Key Required - Payrolling Processes is available in two formats)
Word Document - Payroll Processes for Summer and Fall 2021 - Rev. 06/03/2021
PDF Document - Payroll Processes for Summer and Fall 2021 - Rev. 06/03/2021
FAQs Payrolling Processes During COVID-19 - Under Revision
Harvard Offices Abroad - Rev. 04/27/2021
Due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, some Harvard employees left their on-campus work locations and established a remote worksite outside Massachusetts. In addition, prospective and newly-hired employees who had planned to relocate to Massachusetts and work on campus may have been unable to do so during the public health emergency. Return-to-campus planning is underway. Massachusetts announced that it will end the state of emergency on June 15, 2021, and Harvard has targeted Monday, August 2, 2021 as the day when staff, faculty, and researchers will be eligible to return to campus. Each School or Unit will communicate specific return-to-campus plans to their employees in the next few months. This guidance is intended to support those individual School and Unit plans.
Processes in the attached document apply to:
- Current employees (including student workers) whose primary work location is intended to be in Massachusetts but who are working outside Massachusetts during the public health emergency.
- Prospective new employees (including student workers) who have been approved for hire prior to the hiring freeze or in accordance with the hiring freeze exception process.
- Non-employee payments, such as student stipends and fellowships.
These interim processes and guidance do not apply to unpaid appointments (e.g., visiting scholars, unpaid interns, etc.) or employees who are on approved paid or unpaid leave of absences (e.g., sabbatical, personal, professional, medical leave). Follow your School's or Unit's unpaid or paid leave or courtesy appointment processes.
Please contact your local human resources, faculty planning, or finance offices for guidance on current hiring policies.
- These interim processes supersede The Policy on Eligibility for Harvard Payroll and Outsourced Payrolls dated 1/1/2014.
- Contact your local HR or Faculty Planning Office for guidance about exigent circumstances.
- All employees on a Harvard payroll must continue to comply with Harvard HR pand workplace policies, including remote work policies.
Individuals being paid with sponsored funding may have additional restrictions around working outside of the United States. Please contact your Financial Dean and/or Sponsored Research Office for guidance. See OSP for FAQs and additional details and restrictions.
- If an individual is working under a participation agreement or intends to take any equipment with them to another country, please contact your school’s HR or faculty affairs office.
- See the Research and Labs section of the FAQ regarding restrictions of research projects requiring physical experimentation at a home.
- For questions not addressed in the document, please contact your local Human Resources Office or Global Support Services.
Payment Categories and Hiring Methods for Individuals Classified as an Employee
Guidance Regarding Independent Contractor Requirements during COVID-19 Outbreak
Guidance Regarding Individuals Working Outside the United States Using Sponsored Funding