Revised May 27, 2022
The below documents are currently under revision but all requirements still apply and will be renamed Guidelines for Processing Payroll and Stipends
(Harvard Key Required - Payrolling Processes is available in two formats)
PDF Document - Payroll Processes for Spring 2022 - Rev. 12/14/2021
Word Document - Payroll Processes for Spring 2022 - Rev. 06/03/2021
FAQs Payrolling Processes During COVID-19 - Under Revision
Due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, some Harvard employees left their on-campus work locations and established a remote worksite outside Massachusetts. In addition, prospective and newly-hired employees who had planned to relocate to Massachusetts and work on campus may have been unable to do so during the public health emergency.
Return-to-campus planning is underway. Each School or Unit has or will communicate specific return-to-campus plans to their employees in the next few months. This guidance is intended to support those individual School and Unit plans.
As an employer, Harvard has the right to specify the location where its employees’ work must be performed. Often this is on our campuses in Cambridge and Boston/Longwood, and sometimes off-campus when approved flexible work arrangements permit some percentage of remote work.Approval of these arrangements will be at the discretion of the School/Unit supervisor. See Flexwork at Harvardfor the University’s new flexible work policy, guidelines, and resources, which will be updated as needed.
These interim processes and guidance do not apply to unpaid appointments (e.g., visiting scholars, unpaid interns, etc.) or employees who are on approved paid or unpaid leave of absences (e.g., sabbatical, personal, professional, medical leave). Follow your School's or Unit's unpaid or paid leave or courtesy appointment processes.
Please contact your local human resources, faculty planning, or finance offices for guidance on current hiring policies.
- These interim processes supersede The Policy on Eligibility for Harvard Payroll and Outsourced Payrolls dated 1/1/2014.
- Contact your local HR or Faculty Planning Office for guidance about exigent circumstances.
- All employees on a Harvard payroll must continue to comply with Harvard HR pand workplace policies, including remote work policies.
Individuals being paid with sponsored funding may have additional restrictions around working outside of the United States. Please contact your Financial Dean and/or Sponsored Research Office for guidance. See OSP for FAQs and additional details and restrictions.
- If an individual is working under a participation agreement or intends to take any equipment with them to another country, please contact your school’s HR or faculty affairs office.
- See the Research and Labs section of the FAQ regarding restrictions of research projects requiring physical experimentation at a home.
- For questions not addressed in the document, please contact your local Human Resources Office or Global Support Services.
Payment Categories and Hiring Methods for Individuals Classified as an Employee
Guidance Regarding Independent Contractor Requirements during COVID-19 Outbreak
Guidance Regarding Individuals Working Outside the United States Using Sponsored Funding