Revised December 20, 2020
(Harvard Key Required - Payrolling Processes is available in two formats)
Word Document - Payrolling Processes During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency - Rev. 12/10/2020
PDF Document - Payrolling Processes During the COVID-19 Health Care Emergency - Rev. 11/20/2020
Harvard Offices Abroad - Rev. 11/20/2020
Due to the COVID-19 public health emergency and ongoing period of remote work, some Harvard employees have left their on-campus work locations and established a remote worksite outside Massachusetts or outside the United States. In addition, prospective new employees who had planned to relocate to Massachusetts and work on campus may be unable to do so during the public health emergency. Processes in the attached document apply to:
- Current employees (including student workers) whose primary work location is intended to be in Massachusetts but who are working outside Massachusetts during the public health emergency.
- Prospective new employees (including student workers) who have been approved for hire prior to the hiring freeze or in accordance with the hiring freeze exception process.
- Non-employee payments, such as student stipends and fellowships.
These interim processes and guidance do not apply to unpaid appointments (e.g., visiting scholars, unpaid interns, etc.) or employees who are on approved paid or unpaid leave of absences (e.g., sabbatical, personal, professional, medical leave). Follow your School's or Unit's unpaid or paid leave or courtesy appointment processes.
Please contact your local human resources, faculty planning, or finance offices for guidance on current hiring policies.
- These interim processes supersede The Policy on Eligibility for Harvard Payroll and Outsourced Payrolls dated 1/1/2014.
- Contact your local HR or Faculty Planning Office for guidance about exigent circumstances.
- All employees on a Harvard payroll must continue to comply with Harvard HR pand workplace policies, including remote work policies.
Individuals being paid with sponsored funding may have additional restrictions around working outside of the United States. Please contact your Financial Dean and/or Sponsored Research Office for guidance. See OSP for FAQs and additional details and restrictions.
- If an individual is working under a participation agreement or intends to take any equipment with them to another country, please contact your school’s HR or faculty affairs office.
- See the Research and Labs section of the FAQ regarding restrictions of research projects requiring physical experimentation at a home.
- For questions not addressed in the document, please contact your local Human Resources Office or Global Support Services.
Payment Categories and Hiring Methods for Individuals Classified as an Employee
Guidance Regarding Independent Contractor Requirements during COVID-19 Outbreak
Harvard Payroll Policy
Student Employment Office COVID-19 Disruption
Financial Matters for Students
Guidance Regarding Individuals Working Outside the United States Using Sponsored Funding