Tax Services

Visit our Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance site for more information about tax withholding and reporting for foreign individuals and foreign entities.

Please note: Harvard as an institution does not advise on any personal income tax requirements or issues. Use of any information from this site or any other web site referred to is for general information only and does not represent personal tax advice either express or implied. You are encouraged to seek professional tax advice for personal income tax questions and assistance.

Tax Services provides guidance on range of related topics including payroll taxes, international students, faculty and staff tax compliance, corporate tax and tax reporting, donor acknowledgment letters, and employee and tax exempt bond compliance and private use.

Moving, Recruiting, and Related Expenses

Effective 1/1/2018, as part of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, all permanent staff and faculty moving expenses are considered taxable.

  • A commitment to pay for such expenses should not be made without first consulting the Dean, Vice President or Department Head for approval

  • Recruitment, moving and related expenses for employees and non-employees are authorized at the School or Unit department level

A chart describing tax implications for...

Read more about Moving, Recruiting, and Related Expenses

Student Tax Issues

Resources to better understand education tax credits, deductions and credits.

  • You, or the person who may claim you as a dependent, may be able to take either the tuition and fees deduction or claim a Hope and/or Lifetime Learning credit on your federal tax return for qualified tuition and related expenses that were actually paid in a given year
  • For more information about the deduction or credits, see IRS Publication 970 

Education Tax Credits

To claim the credits for tuition...

Read more about Student Tax Issues
Copy and paste this code to your website.