Student Tax Issues

Resources to better understand education tax credits, deductions and credits.

  • You, or the person who may claim you as a dependent, may be able to take either the tuition and fees deduction or claim a Hope and/or Lifetime Learning credit on your federal tax return for qualified tuition and related expenses that were actually paid in a given year
  • For more information about the deduction or credits, see IRS Publication 970 

Education Tax Credits

To claim the credits for tuition and fees paid to Harvard, you need to obtain a Form 1098-T from the school you attended during the year for the year in which the amounts were paid:

  • Division of Continuing Education: Contact the Tax Credit Reporting Service with questions. 
  • All Other Schools: Contact the Student Receivables Office at 617-495-2739.