Fellowships, Scholarships, and Grants

Frequently Asked Question
Will I receive a tax reporting form from the University showing fellowship amounts?

The answer depends on your tax classification in the U. S. The University is not required to report fellowship amounts on a Form 1099 or other formal tax document for U. S. citizens or individuals who are resident aliens for tax purposes. Therefore, it is important to keep your own records or to seek a summary from your department in order to have the information necessary to prepare your personal tax return.
If you are a nonresident alien for U. S. tax purposes, you will receive a Form 1042-S showing fellowship amounts for each calendar year. Form 1042-S will be mailed in the spring immediately following the relevant calendar year.

IRS Resources

Publication 970 (2015), Tax Benefits for Education

Scholarships, Fellowship Grants, Grants, and Tuition Reductions (excerpt from Pub 970)

The following fellowship information can be found in the Financial Policy Office website:

General Information for Fellowship Recipients

Fellowships Toolkit: A Reference Guide to Fellowships, Reimbursements and Other Payments to U.S. Citizens and Non-Resident Aliens

Fellowship Payments and Reimbursements for Students and Non-employee Postdocs/Fellows 

Questions & Contacts

Questions about fellowships granted to foreign nationals (NRA or nonresident aliens) can directed to the Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance. Various information can also be found on the NRA website.

Questions about fellowships granted to U.S. citizens and U.S. tax residents can be directed to Tax Reporting, tax_reporting@harvard.edu.